[Asterisk-Users] Can I recreate a Fax from a recorded file?

Scott Gifford sgifford at suspectclass.com
Thu May 4 11:50:07 MST 2006

Colin Anderson <ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com> writes:

>>Why not capture the faxes (in or out) in tiff format, instead of audio
>>format?  Setup your asterisk box to relay faxes!
>
> I think in this case the impact on the client would be much greater if you
> can show them a recreation of the image from the raw data; you could always
> claim that a TIFF file was altered (which it can be, trivially) but it's
> pretty much impossible to change the raw audio to your ends unless you are
> in a Tom Clancy novel.

Why is this hard to fake at all?  You send a different fax to your
system, and replace the Asterisk audio file with the one from the
altered fax.  Additionally, the client has no realistic way of
verifying the correctness of your audio-to-fax translation tool; it
could just as easily output a TIFF file completely different from the
one that was actually faxed.

----Scott.