[Asterisk-Users] Can I recreate a Fax from a recorded file?

Alexander Lopez Alex.Lopez at OpSys.com
Thu May 4 07:06:57 MST 2006

I have a client that 'NEEDS' (his words not mine) to make sure that all
faxes, emails, calls, and mail are archived. Phone and email are simple,
Mail depends upon the integrity of the mail room, Faxes however can be
sent from anyone. They would like this as they recently had an issue
with a fax sent. Client claims that the fax received was NOT the Fax
sent. In the client file, the correct fax is there, but client attests
to a different copy. (Client is always right)

I know that I can use HylaFax and a custom context to grab the 'dialed'
number receive the fax via HylaFax and 're-send' it out again. But I
have not had the success rate I would like with HylaFax/IAXmodem.

However, recording a file in Asterisk is a simple and manageable
concept. I do not expect problems with the recording load as there will
be less than 10 recordings at once. I will NOT be mixing them and will
be off-loading the tasks off to another machine after hours for
processing, realtime archiving is not needed.

They are also 'emotionally attached' to the rather large fax machines
(Mopier) that they have. (4)

They are a law firm that deals with rather large purchases, Planes,
Boats( SHIPS!!), small island countries, etc. etc,

They only have 3 attorneys and 3 para-legals, so they are difficult to
change in their ways, I find larger orgs are less resilient to change.

That's why......