[Asterisk-Users] How would you go about calling a list of numbers and 'speaking' a message?

Tom Engleward engleward at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 16:33:16 MST 2006

--- Angus Comber <angus at iteloffice.com> wrote:
> I have been asked by a client to process a list of
> telephone numbers.
> Asterisk should call each number in turn and if the
> recipient of the call
> answers, play a message - eg from a wav.
>
> How would I go about doing that?

Make your message as
/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/custom/mymessage.wav
Then you'll need to create a context in
extensions.conf like:
[my-outgoing]
exten => s,1,Playback(custom/mymessage);
exten => s,2,Hangup

then write a script to:
1. Read a single number from your list of numbers
2. Write that number into a .call file
3. Copy that .call file to
/var/spool/asterisk/outgoing
4. Repeat for the next number in your list

Asterisk will immediately make the call when the file
shows up in the outgoing directory, unless the
timestamp on the file is in the future.

The .call files which you dynamically generate (one
for each number) look something like this:
Channel: IAX2/yourpstnprovider/numbertocall
MaxRetries: 1
RetryTime: 5
WaitTime: 60
Callerid: whatever
Context: my-outgoing
Extension: s

WaitTime is how long to wait for an answer before
giving up.

See this page for details:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+auto-dial+out