[Asterisk-Users] /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing/ failure: the plot thickens

Tom Engleward engleward at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 13:40:41 MST 2006

Tim Panton <tim at mexuar.com> wrote:
> I think you are misunderstanding the way call files
> work.
>
> They connect _2_ ends,
> here's what the wiki says:
[snip]
> So the _channel_ has to be the whole thing -
> including the number
> 'far' you want to dial
> the _extension_ and _context_ are the 'near' end of
> the call.
>
> Your debug shows
> > CALLED NUMBER   : s
>
> meaning that you have tried to call 's' not your ten
> digit number.
>
> Try
>
> Channel: IAX2/foo/15555555555

Spookily, you sent your reply within just a couple of
minutes of the time that I figured out your (correct)
solution via further research on my own, and then just
now went back to my email to post another message
saying "problem solved, everybody ignore my previous
messages on this topic", and saw your reply. But
still, thank you for answering.

Now what I don't understand is why
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+auto-dial+out
has the following:

Example 3
To create a call to 14109850123 on a SIP phones called
bt101, here's the file you'd create in
/var/spool/asterisk/outgoing (whatever name is good,
of course must be accessible and deletable by asterisk
GNU/Linux user):
 Channel: SIP/bt101
 MaxRetries: 1
 RetryTime: 60
 WaitTime: 30
 #
 # Assuming that your outgoing call logic is kept in
the
 #  context called [outgoing]
 #
 Context: outgoing
 Extension: 14109850123

And furthermore, since what you said is correct, I
don't understand why the above (apparently incorrect)
callfile _does_ work on my SIP/sipphone trunk! And in
fact when I originally saw the above callfile, I found
it odd that the number to dial would be in the field
called "Extension:", but just chalked it up to
asterisk oddness and paid no more attention to it
after I found that it worked on my sipphone trunk. But
anyway that's just a curiosity, since the sipphone
trunk was just for testing, and my foo trunk is the
one that I actually need to use, and it works now that
I'm using correctly written callfiles.