[Asterisk-Users] Can I recreate a Fax from a recorded file?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed May 3 08:31:57 MST 2006

Alexander Lopez wrote:

> This is a very KGB / NSA / InterPOL / CIA type question, but if I have
> a recorded file (G.711, no compression) can I feed it into standard in
> of an application and have it recreate the fax that was send?
>
> I don’t know enough about the Fax handshaking to understand this.

In spandsp there is a program in the tests directory called fax_decode.
It isn't very sophisticated, as it is intended for my test work, rather
than general decoding. It is able to decode some FAX audio from a wave
file, though.

There are some expensive commercial programs which do the job. Because
FAX only sends one way at a time, the audio from the two directions is
never jumbled up in recordings.

Steve