[Asterisk-Users] brittle IAX connections ?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed May 3 05:48:37 MST 2006

> I have several asterisk 1.2.7.1 servers connected through iax2 and often
> the local asterisk would no longer see the remote one, even thought the
> link is high quality and the ping is perfect.
>
> Is there some issues to take into account about IAX2 connections?
>
> Is asterisk's DNS resolution too fragile and should I use raw IP's in my
> configs?

The DNS resolution is somewhat fragile and/or incomplete as has been
stated previously on the list. Most notably, if asterisk cannot get dns
resolution the system basically hangs. The workaround is to establish a
dns caching server on the * box. Second, asterisk code does not properly
handle dns records that contain more then one IP address; it uses only
the first entry found within the dns response.

Using hard coded IP addresses is one way to address the issue if that
works for you.