[Asterisk-Users] Hi...Please help me

hugolivude hugolivude at gmail.com
Tue May 2 13:42:00 MST 2006

First off, I agree w/ Gonzalo – softphones didn't work out for me
either.  One thing that did work great tho was a combo.

We share SIP phones at the office in a 1:4 ratio.  You're probably
asking – how do you know when a ringing phone is for you?  Well,
everyone in our office gets an XLite softphone, and I direct calls to
make BOTH the SIP phone AND the XLite ring.  If your XLite pops up,
you know that ring phone is for you…

Here's some answers to your other questions

•	What I have to install in client PC's?

Just the softphone client (e.g. XLite (SIP) Cubix (IAX)
http://www.virbiage.com/cubix.php

•	What hardware I need?

Nothing too fancy.  Your PCs seem OK.  For Asterisk, I'm using an old
Pentium 4 beater with 1Gig memory and it handles the whole office (19)
just fine.

•	How can I take decission to buy extra hardware (like Zaptel
products) OR no need of buying extra hardware? ( I will be using
Asterisk for 70 PC's and a server)

This depends on what you want in the way of handsets, and what kind of
connectivity you want to the PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network).
 You could get away with no extra hardware in a pure VoIP solution.
Connect Asterisk to the Internet w/ an Ethernet cable and use SIP
based phones that also communicate over a network.  Note that if you
don't use any Digium hardware, I believe that you need to use ztdummy
to control timing (never used it myself)
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+timer+ztdummy

•	Is it sufficient to buy hardware for server only OR for client PC's also?

Again, your PCs seem OK.  How you kit out your server depends upon
what you want.

•	How can I connect my VoIP phone to server?

Once you have Asterisk installed, you have to configure your VoIP
phone to register with it.  For example, look here for how to
configure Polycom Soundpoint 501s -
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Polycom+Soundpoint+IP+501.
 You'll also have to have the appropriate entries in SIP.conf for the
phone AND to connect to your VoIP service provider
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+config+sip.conf

•	How can I connect hardware to server?

Don't understand this one.  If you use telephony boards, you'll need
drivers.  Depending upon the board you may also have to physically
connect your phone to it with a telephone wire (as is the case with
TDM boards for example)

•	How can I connect PSTN line to server PC?

Assuming analogue phones you'll need a TDM card with an FXO port
(outgoing) for each line you have
(http://www.digium.com/en/products/hardware/analogcards.php).  You'll
also need an FXS port for each phone you have on your TDM card as
well.

Yours,