[Asterisk-Users] Random 1-way audio on IAX2 Connections

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Tue May 2 07:48:40 MST 2006

On 2 May 2006, at 15:32, Tom Engleward wrote:

> --- Tim Panton <tim at mexuar.com> wrote:
>> If you are using IAX2, you don't need to port
>> forward the ports.
>> Just have PBX2 register _often_ and that will keep a
>> mapping in your
>> router.
> Where is this set? Is this the minregexpire and
> maxregexpire settings in iax.conf, which default to 60
> seconds? (And what's the purpose of the "min" and
> "max"; why isn't there just one setting, simply
> "regexpire"?)
> And is the default of 60 seconds considered "often"?
>
> Finally, what's the difference between registering
> often and setting qualify=yes?

'Often' is often enough for your Nat router.

60 secs seems enough for the ones I've used.

If I recall it right:

Qualify sends an IAX POKE, (expecting a PONG) whereas
registration sends a full REGREQ which requires more
processing power at the far end (typically a database lookup
of your user name and an MD5 of your password) and an extra
2 packets to complete the exchange.

You are 'encouraged' to qualify, but I like to register, mostly
out of habit I suppose.

Tim.