[Asterisk-Users] Hi...Please help me

Crazy Boy crazymoonboy at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 05:58:16 MST 2006

Hi friends,

  Thank you for your response. I am using SuSe Linux 9.3 with kernel 2.6 version. I have installed Asterisk in my PC and "X-Lite" as softphone in my PC and client PC. Here my user name is "chandra" and client user name is "aarti". I have added these lines to configuration files at the end of file.

  added contents in sip.conf:

  [aarti]
  type=friend
  username=aarti
  secret=aarti
  host=dynamic
  context=tutorial

  [chandra]
  type=friend
  username=chandra
  secret=chandra
  host=dynamic
  context=tutorial

  added contents in extensions.conf:

  [tutorial]
  exten => 101,1,Dial(SIP/aarti)
  exten => 102,1,Dial(SIP/chandra)

  Here, "aarti" is client, "chandra" is mine and Asterisk is also installed in my PC (chandra) and it is successfully connected to Asterisk server using "X-Lite" softphone.

  But, when i try to connect from "aarti" system using softphone, it displays an error message "login timedout, contact system admin".

  Is there any problem with the content of sip.conf file or extensions.conf file? I have not connected any external hardware to my pc. I just want to connect Asterisk server to my collegues PC's like Intercom within my office LAN using headphones. How can I do this? Please tell me. Looking forward for your response.

  Thank you.

  Regards,
  Chandra.

 Evalyn Wafula <wafula at bitlink.co.ke> wrote:      Hi Chandra, I am also new to Asterisk and I have only just started installing a test system but I probably can help clarify one or two things.

      I think asterisk "clients" are phones not PCs unless you use "soft phones" which is software on the PC (somewhat like Skype) that you use to make and answer phone calls. So you might not need to install anything on your PCs if you will use IP phones or ATAs as mentioned by Gonzalo.

      The hardware you need depends on what you require your asterisk to do. If you will be making only IP calls using IP phones, then you only need asterisk running on your server with no extra hardware. But if you need to connect with analog/digital phone equipment, then you need extra hardware on the server.

      You do not physically connect your VOIP phone to the asterisk server. You connect it to the network that has the server through a normal network point and configure it to find the server.

      You probably ought    to take Gonzalo's advice and head over to:    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk and do some reading before you even start as it will help you fit many pieces of the asterisk "puzzle" together. It helped me get started. Then you probably will have fewer questions that list members will answer more readily :)

 Regards

 Wafula