[Asterisk-Users] /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing/ prematurely hanging up

Tom Engleward engleward at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 22:43:29 MST 2006

I have a PSTN termination provider "foo" which will
accept standard U.S. calls in the form 1<10 digit
ph#>.
I have an outbound route named "foo", with dial
pattern "5|.", with the only entry in trunk sequence
being "IAX2/foo".

I have an X-lite local extension, on which I can dial
51<10 digit ph#>, and asterisk will call out over foo
and the phone at <10 digit ph#> will ring. This rules
out a lot of possible problems.

extensions.conf includes this:
[outgoingtest]
exten => s,1,Playback(custom/testmsg)
exten => s,2,Wait(1)
exten => s,3,Hangup

And yes, asterisk has been restarted since the last
time any config files were modified.

I have a test message at
/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/custom/testmsg.gsm

If I make the file "1.call" containing:
Channel: IAX2/foo
MaxRetries: 1
RetryTime: 5
WaitTime: 10
Context: outgoingtest
Extension: 1<10 digit ph#>

and copy it to /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing/
then the phone doesn't ring, but this shows up on the
asterisk console:
-- Attempting call on IAX2/foo for 1<10 digit
ph#>@outgoingtest:1 (Retry 1)
-- Hungup 'IAX2/foo-7'
-- Attempting call on IAX2/foo for 1<10 digit
ph#>@outgoingtest:1 (Retry 2)
-- Hungup 'IAX2/foo-8'

The "foo-7" and "foo-8" on the console are different
(numbers anywhere from 1 to 9) every time I try
copying the file to outgoing.

I tried using extension 51<10 digit ph#> instead of
1<10 digit ph#> in 1.call, but that didn't work
either.

Why is it failing?