[Asterisk-Users] Using frequent keepalives to eliminate need for NAT port forwarding?

Tom Engleward engleward at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 17:25:03 MST 2006

I have an asterisk system behind NAT, and need to
connect to public PSTN originators via SIP or IAX2,
but don't have the option of forwarding any ports
(4569, 5060, etc) to the asterisk system. However, the
NAT system does properly establish transient UDP
forwarding on the basis of outgoing connections, so is
it possible to configure asterisk to send frequent
keepalive UDP packets (say every 30 seconds) from
ports 4569 and 5060 to the PSTN originators in order
to keep the NAT system's transient forwarding in
effect, so that when the PSTN originator receives
inbound calls and attempts to contact my asterisk
system, the NAT system won't drop the packets?