[Asterisk-Users] FreePBX in production?

Philippe Lindheimer p_lindheimer at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 11:26:45 MST 2006

Rich Adamson wrote:

  > Let's see if I can summarize various recent postings relative to the
> broader topic of whether FreePBX/AAH is production-ready.

  It's not proper to put FreePBX/AAH in the same breath. AAH puts FreePBX ontop of their build, along with a bunch of other software. Although AAH gets 'most of the credit,' the 'value' that most users are exposed to is FreePBX (or AMP). Not to trivialize the 'integration' work that AAH does. However - I say don't put them together because all too often I have seen AAH drop things on top that break FreePBX. If you want a pure system, build your own ISO and drop FreePBX on top of it.

  and "Craig" wrote:

  > Too many limitations in terms of having a flexible diaplan.  What would be nice
> though is if they were to produce a 'lite' version that gave a gui interface
> to add/change/move things - sip.conf, voicemail.conf, meetme.conf but
> staying well away from extensions.conf

  What one considers 'prodcution ready' is a very subjective evaluation. However, I will say that I have yet to find something I can't do on a system that FreePBX has. What I mean by that is that I can modify any macro or part of the core dial plan I don't like by overriding it in the _custom file as well as add any custom dialplans or other configuration that I need. I'm sure there is something out there I will run into where this doesn't work - but I haven't hit it yet. (And if I do, I'll do the needed changes and submit it back to FreePBX).

  I think it is fair to say that if you really understand Asterisk and then spend a small amount of time understanding what FreePBX is doing, you can easily accomplish the best of both worlds. If you don't have that level of understanding, you may be thankful for those 'magic scripts' that are making a working system behind the scene from the FreePBX GUI.

  If you are not interested in the fundamental functionality and 'fat/rich' dailplan, then you are better off using something else though.

  Remco Barende wrote:

  > There are still some basic things missing (for example if you don't use
> voicemail it is not possible to set a destination for the call if not
> answered, you have to create a ring group for each extension to work
> around it, this is a major issue)

Remco - take a look at the Follow Me module I added. It is basically a presonal ring group for each extension. If you want to do the above, just define the Follow-Me settings to ring your own extension (or more if you want) and then choose any destination you want. It effectively does 'creat a ring group for each extensions' that wants one, but it does it in such a way as to be separate and work side by side with normal ringgroups, and there is a direct link between it and the extension (or user) so that navigation is very easy as you can bounce back and forth with a single mouse click.