[Asterisk-Users] FreePBX in production?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon May 1 06:32:34 MST 2006

Time Bandit wrote:
>> > You could, but it'll get overwritten by any FreePBX upgrades. The
>> *.conf
>> > and *_additional.conf files are controlled by FreePBX and can be
>> > overwritten.
>>
>> I thought I should clarify this statement: I meant that FreePBX could
>> overwrite both the *.conf and the *_additional.conf files. You are
>> strongly advised NOT to edit either of those types of files. All editing
>> should be restricted to the *_custom.conf files.
> Well, I've modified *.conf files and I never had AMP (FreePBX)
> overwrite them. An upgrade would most certainly overwrite them but not
> normal usage. I may be wrong, but if you upgrade, the *_custom.conf
> files will probably get overwritten also, so you better backup them
> before.

Let's see if I can summarize various recent postings relative to the
broader topic of whether FreePBX/AAH is production-ready.

Seems the general consensus is that AAH and/or FreePBX is considered
production ready if the functionality embedded in AMP (primarily)
happens to fit the specific small business requirements. Anything
outside of the basic functionality is limited primarily by the lack of
technical documentation, the undocumented logic behind magically
creating dialplan entries, and limitations associated with AMP
interfaces to various channels such as those typically defined in
zapata.conf, etc.

It would almost appear as though the user interface should be broken
into two components: 1) a simplified interface for non-technical users
that are responsible for adds/moves/changes, and, 2) a second interface
to define business-specific items such as defining certain interfaces
(eg, zap channels), contexts, dialplans, etc. Many of those items
defined in #2 would probably become drop-down selections for the user
interface in #1.

Thoughts?

R.