[Asterisk-Users] PRI Issue: D-Channel woes

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Mon May 1 04:20:51 MST 2006

On Monday 01 May 2006 01:42, Terence Burnard wrote:
> Module                  Size  Used by
> wcusb                  21760  0
> wctdm                  36512  0
> wcfxo                  13408  0
> wcte11xp               24896  0
> wct1xxp                16544  0
> wct4xxp                97664  24
> tor2                   89856  0

First of all, don't load every Asterisk module under the sun.  Load the
modules for the hardware you have, and if you're using something like A at H
which loads everything, edit your /etc/modules.conf to alias the ones you do
NOT have to 'off' to prevent them from being loaded.

> # cat /etc/zaptel.conf
> span=1,0,0,esf,b8zs

That should read '1,1,0' but is otherwise great.  You want to synchronize to
the telco.

> [channels]
> context=pri_inbound
> switchtype=dms100
> signalling=pri_cpe
> group=1
> channel => 1-23

I generally add
pridialplan=unknown
priindication=outofband
overlapdial=no
resetinterval=86400

to that as well (i.e. before the "channel =>" line) to make things a little
cleaner and clearer.  Only the first line would have any effect on mitigating
your problem, though.

> *CLI> pri show span 1
> Primary D-channel: 24

That's the problem: your D channel is not up.  Either your switchtype is wrong
(it is NOT set to the physical switch make/model on the other side, it is set
to the signaling system it is emulating), the telco's brought the line down,
or the two sides just can't see each other.  Since you're running
green-light, you're seeing each other.

You can do a very simple test by plugging a loopback plug into the span
instead of the PRI.  just take an RJ45 end and two pieces of wire.  plug one
wire into pins 1 and 4, and the other into 2 and 5.  Crimp it down and plug
it in.  The light on the back of the card should go green and the system
should be in the exact same state it's in now.  If you change your signalling
to pri_net, you should see messages on the Asterisk console complaining about
"I'm set to pri_net, but the other side thinks it is pri_net!".

Verify your switchtype...  The Cisco should have a setting and you should set
Asterisk in a similar fashion.  Failing that I would try loading the wct4xxp
module with the "vpmsupport=0" parameter to disable the voice processing
module just to see if that helps (i.e. possible card issue), and failing all
of that, I would contact Digium technical support, as the price of that card
included technical assistance and it is this type of problem that is a great
use of that support.

-A.