[Asterisk-Users] 1.2.6 doesn't use mpg123?

Matt mhoppes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 13:55:26 MST 2006

Is it true that asterisk 1.2.6 does not use mpg123?

I just installed asterisk 1.2.6 and while I do have music on hold
(through format_mp3?) I do not have an mpg123 process running.

I seem to be having serious audio issues when going through one of my
providers (and just through that provider) when using mp3 for hold
music, however when using wav files it is fine.

The processor is only at about 2% and 0 load.  We are both using ulaw.
 If I get more then 2 calls in a queue or "on hold" the music gets all
nasty when using mp3 (though allison sounds fine).  However, when
using wav, it sounds fine.  Again, this is using format_mp3.   I've
converted all my hold music to wav and it's fine.  But, is there
anyway to use mpg123 with 1.2.6 and if so how do I do it?  I
understand it's probably not the best solution, but I'd like to debug
and see if there is in fact a bug in format_mp3 that is degrading
audio for some reason.

If I go OUT:
asterisk2-->IAX-->asterisk1--->IAX-->TERMINATOR  I can do tons of
calls (have tried up to 10) and hold music is fine.

If I come IN:
ORIGINATOR--->SIP-->asterisk1--->IAX--->asterisk2  audio is aweful
with mp3 hold music, but fine with wav.

Thoughts?