[Asterisk-Users] IAXY codec support and questions..

Michael Wallette mike at gecko-ak.org
Fri Mar 31 10:44:10 MST 2006

I have been evaluating the Iaxy and Asterisk for the company I currently
work for, and am rather impressed with them both. Once configured, the
Iaxy is a solid device--it's pretty much an appliance at that point
(plug it in, turn it on, and leave it alone).

My only gripe is the initial configuration, although even that isn't too
terribly bad. You must download and unpack a C program, then edit a
config file that the C program pushes to the Iaxy. If you want to change
settings on the Iaxy, you must reset it (press the "reset" button on the
back, hold it for ten seconds, unplug the RJ-11, RJ-45 and power cables
from the Iaxy while holding the reset button, then replace the RJ-11,
RJ-45 and power cables) before you can push the new config to the Iaxy.

The Iaxy I am using is inside the same RFC-1918 network as my Asterisk
server (inside the NAT, that is), but I have used an IAX softphone from
inside another RFC-1918 network to place calls through my Asterisk
server, and that worked just fine, so I suspect the Iaxy would work just
fine through double NAT as well.

--Mike Wallette