[Asterisk-Users] OT: Polycom IP501 and Speed Dials

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 09:00:34 MST 2006

Hi Avi -

> I know this is off-topic for Asterisk, but I don't know where else to
> ask: I've setup a central directory.xml file for my Polycom IP501 phones
> with a list of all the internal extensions. None of them have <sd>1</sd>
> as I don't want to enable any speed dials, just have a list in each phone.
>
> However, when a phone boots, it seems to pick a random entry and put it
> on the second line key as a speed dial entry! Anyone have any idea why
> and how to stop it?
>
> Also, could someone confirm that once a phone loads the default
> directory, it then maintains its own copy? So if I want to change the
> directory from the FTP server, I have to edit every single
> phone-specific XML file, or will the phone overwrite that on reboot?
> Essentially, I'm looking for a way to manage the directory from a
> central location.

I think you may be stuck with the central directory storage.  If I
remember right, my experience was like yours - you can create a single
central directory, and then the phones will copy it to their own
individual directory file (<mac address>-directory.xml).  I guess you
could delete all the individual directories to force the phones to go
back to the central file (I haven't tested, though, so I don't know if
this would really work).  Kind of a pain, especially since you have to
reboot all the phones for this to happen.

- Noah