[Asterisk-Users] Multicast Music on Hold

Nathan Alberti asterisk at iipc.com.au
Thu Mar 30 23:38:25 MST 2006

As I understand there is provisions for hold in both RFC 2543  (SIP)
and RFC 3264 (SDP) and asterisk users the latter.

The RFC 2543 method tells the UA its media stream is at 0.0.0.0 where
as the method via SDP can tell it to listen to any address/port/
protocol combination, which is how asterisk tell it to listen to the
audio stream it presents when it is asked to hold a call.

Please stop me here if I have totally misunderstood the concept :)

As i am using a central asterisk box with multiple stub sites I don't
wish every call put on hold to be wasting WAN bandwidth, I am
wondering if it is possible to create a multicast stream to each site
and rather than asterisk sending its address and the media
information during a hold it sends the multicast address and multiple
phones can be served by the one stream ?

Regards,

Nathan