[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and Hylafax, on the same box

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Thu Mar 30 14:47:55 MST 2006

Mike wrote:

> I thought I'd check in with people here.  Lets say I wanted to put
> together a Hylafax server, and an Asterisk server on the same box.
> And, for the sake of making things simple, I wanted to use a single T1
> board for both....
>
> Is this possible?

Yes.  I've not investigated the Eicon approach that you suggest below,
but if you can get the audio lossless into Asterisk (Zap, ISDN,
whatever) then you could use iaxmodem to bridge between Asterisk and
HylaFAX.

> I see Eicon boards are supported by both software, so could I have
> Hylafax and Asterisk installed on a server with an Eicon card, with
> channels split between Hylafax and Asterisk?

I don't know if this would work or not.

> Or even just being bridged by Asterisk to Hylafax, somehow?

HylaFAX has to talk to a modem device, so I don't know how Asterisk
would bridge it to HylaFAX without some intermediary device like an
iaxmodem.

> Could I get away with just one T1, or would i need 2? (one for each
> software?)

You could have as many or as few as you wanted.

Lee.