[Asterisk-Users] Benchmarking an Asterisk Server with 14k users

Stefan-Michael. Guenther (in-put GbR) S.Guenther at in-put.de
Thu Mar 30 09:28:39 MST 2006

Hello,

one of our clients is currently testing three installations:

- Cisco Callmanager 5
- Siemens HiPath 8000
- Asterisk

To get an impression how these system behave under heavy load, he's going to
use an ABACUS 5000 system
(http://www.spirentcom.com/analysis/technology.cfm?media=7&WS=325&SS=111&wt=2)
so simulate 14k users, calling each others, in other words 7k simultaneous
calls. His main aim is to compare Cisco and Siemens, but he asked me whether
we would be interested in testing the Asterisk server, too.
Of course, I agreed! And I asked him whether we could publish the results,
e.g. on this mailing list - he agreed!

Well, asterisk experts, now it's your turn. Can you give me hints/information
on how to optimize the asterisk system?
And are there special details that you want me to test, besides the fact how
many calls the system can handle?
The more input you give me, the more output I can give back.
The test will take place at the end of april.

To make it clear: We don't want to compare the three system against each
other. The asterisk server is running on a completely different hardware. We
just have the chance to simulate a large number of callers on an asterisk
system, we don't have to pay for the test and we can keep/publish the results
-great!  ;-))

Waiting for suggestions,

Stefan

in-put GbR - Das Linux-Systemhaus