[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk with Vonage

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Thu Mar 30 09:09:31 MST 2006

This is for the softphone account. I tried one for about a month just to
see how well it works with asterisk. A few notes(from memory):

1) Seemed reliability and quality were better than other retail
providers I tried.

2) Tested it with 2 channels open from pstn calls and then opened a
third by calling from the vonage ata phone. Don't know the limits but
it's possible that in-network calls are not restricted same as pstn calls.

3) Got asterisk warnings about silence suppression not being supported
at the asterisk end but did not affect call quality.

4) I was able to change outgoing caller ID name when calling my vonage
ata phone. Useful in some situations.

Now I have a question to add:

I bought a Sipura SPA-3000 just to try the FXO on a few different
things. One of those is to connect it to the vonage ata FXS so I can
answer and make calls using asterisk. The procedure I was going to try
is to disable call waiting and forward all calls to the vonage softphone
if the ata line is busy. Nice thing about this is forwarding to another
vonage number is free for limited or unlimited plans. Has anybody got
such a setup to work? By working I do mean that asterisk gets the caller
ID name and number from the vonage line via the SPA-3000