[Asterisk-Users] Dumb question - reaching the PSTN

Alyed Tzompa alyed.tzompa at simitel.com
Wed Mar 29 17:58:13 MST 2006

		I may add a very nice configuration:

-  Use two (or more) Asterisks to create your own VoIP network

Very useful if you have broadband and several facilities spread out in distant geographical locations.

Alyed

   Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:32:16 -0700

Not dumb at all.  Seeing that most end users in the world are still on
the PSTN, you're going to want to attach to it at some point.

Since this is Asterisk, you have options.  Lots of them.  And, using
careful dialplan-ning you can mix and match to your heart's content.
Here are some examples:

1) Use a Digium or a non-digium card to connect to POTS, ISDN, PRI, etc.
2) Use a "in and out" VoIP provider such as telasip, vonage, etc
3) Use an "out only" VoIP provider such as voipjet (generally lower
per-minute rates)
4) Use an "in only" VoIP provider (examples fail me...)
5) Use an FXO card (as in #1) but connect it to another device rather
than the telco.  E.g. a cell phone
6) Use a full-blown GSM gateway
7) Etc

Using the above options, I personally have configured Asterisk to:

1) Interface to my T1
2) Use voipjet to place outbound calls
3) When dialing a company cell phone, send it out a cellular device
until they're all used up, then use the T1

Bob McDowell