[Asterisk-Users] Dumb question - reaching the PSTN

Wed Mar 29 15:37:44 MST 2006

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to the idea of VoIP, although I've been reading about it
off and on for the last few years. Now it is starting to look mature
enough to consider implementing it, but there is one thing that I
haven't been able to get a clear answer on...

With Vonage, you are using the Vonage network - it is their
responsibility to route your call to the endpoint, which is more than
likely on the old fashined PSTN.

If I install Asterisk, how do my calls actually get completed? How do
they get 'bridged' over to the PSTN?

I attended a Seminar today hosted by Dynasis, and one of the issues was
VoIP. ShoreTel was there, and the said I had to have phone lines,
whether they were POTS lines, chennels from a T-1, whatever, we still
had to have phone lines.

Now I'm confused.

If I implement an Asterisk based system (yes, I'd be paying a consultant
to help), will I still have to maintain phone lines and pay full price
for Long Distance?

Simple pointers to White Papers on this issue will be sufficient.

Many thanks,

--

Best regards,

Charles