[Asterisk-Users] Unable to open Asterisk database

Erick Perez eaperezh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 12:58:02 MST 2006

Hi, i have asterisk 1.2.5 working fine from a database in the following way:
asterisk loaded as root
realtime logging to a mysqld 5.x daemon listening in localhost
database is astbill with username astbilluser allowed to the database
the root user in mysqld has a password

res_mysql.conf in /etc/asterisk has:
[general]
dbhost = 127.0.0.1
dbname = astbill
dbuser = astbilluser
dbpass = xxxxxxxxxxxx
dbport = 3306

I now want to run asterisk with the -U asterisk and -G asterisk
credentials. When I do it I have the error (asterisk is a valid
user/group in the system with nologin as shell):
/var/log/asterisk/messages:
WARNING[5230] db.c: Unable to open Asterisk database
WARNING[5230] db.c: Database unavailable

asterisk does not exist in mysqld as a user.

Asterisk loads, but cannot connect to the database, What other perms
should I give it either to the mysqld or to asterisk?

Thanks,