[Asterisk-Users] AAH lost my IVR phrases

Jim Hanlon Jim_Hanlon at mverify.com
Wed Mar 29 09:02:01 MST 2006

Hello-
 I have a low traffic AAH setup, a few hardphones, a few softphones, 50 calls per day max. I used the AMP Digital Receptionist to
make a simple voice menu: "Thank you for calling xxxx". I did this for both Normal times and After Hours times. It worked fine.

I then went to the AMP Maintenance window, Config Edit, got the "phpconfig for Asterisk PBX" page, and selected the
extensions_additional.conf page. On this page were the entries for the Normal and After Hours greetings. The initial greeting
phrases were expressed in terms of statements like:
 "exten => s,n,Background(custom/aa_num)". It was easy to extend the greeting (for instance, "Office hours are 7-7", "Press pound
for directory"..) by directly adding more canned phrases, like so:
 "exten => s, n+1, Background(custom/aa_num+1)"
 etc...

Hit update, Re-Read Configs. Try it out.

It worked fine. And I felt pretty clever. For a few weeks.

Then a complaint: Callers encountered an obviously truncated IVR script, and had no way out of the maze. Sure enough, only one
phrase was being uttered. And, sure enough, only one phrase was being commanded by the existing extensions_additional.conf file. I
re-edited the file, updated, and things worked again.

!!!? What happened to my edited, updated, and Re-Read extensions_additional.conf file?

Anybody ever encounter this behavior?

What to do, in order to avoid this mishap in the future?

Ideas, thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim Hanlon