[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk 1.2.6, VMWare, & Playback/BackgroundGSM prompts

Technical Support support at ocg.ca
Tue Mar 28 16:52:08 MST 2006

I think you might have misunderstood my point.  From a horsepower
perspective you are right.  However, from a latency perspective, virtual
machines suffer from too much skew in their timeslices.

If the server is performing background tasks the impact is unperceivable.
If the server is performing real-time tasks, then the impact will be
dramatic (like choppy voice).  In an extreme case, if you have enough
horsepower combined with few other tasks/VM's on the same machine, your
timeslices may be consistent enough to make real-time processing acceptable.
Don't count on it however!

The bottom line is that PC virtualization and real-time applications don't
mix.  You are better off with less horsepower without latency issues.

MD