[Asterisk-Users] Polycom IP 301 is slow

AR Tarzi artarzi at batelco.com.bh
Tue Mar 28 13:21:45 MST 2006

I've read all the messages here.. seems everyone's forgotten the original
problem.

Yes, the polycoms are very slow at rebooting when configuring through its
http server, not only that, but it's also inconvenient because it reboots
for every change (each page) which means you have to pass through several
reboots to get it going.

The overwhelming majority of people who use these phones (and swear by them)
use an ftp server. This not only provides you with a record of the settings,
but the ability to control a multitude of functions that are not reachable
by browser.

Examples:
Volume of handset - if you don't do it via ftp, you have no way of setting
it to "store" the volume between calls and the default volume I've found
less than optimal
Since you need to upgrade the phone(s) from time to time, and there's no
"firmware upload" facility using a browser.
To add ring tones (although I've not tried that one)

These are only examples.. the ftp configuration allows you to have a default
setup file for the site and a specific one for each phone so you don't
really have to think of everything for the latter.

I do not think the polycoms are the "best" at setting up but once you get
them going, they sure are hard to beat.

I personally like the speakerphone's quality (if you have an issue with it,
yours MUST be faulty).