[Asterisk-Users] Monitoring question

Bjorn O bok2 at online.no
Tue Mar 28 10:33:54 MST 2006

Hello all!

We’ve been thinking of using the monitor or the mixmonitor application for a
while. However, we have met some basic problems in getting this to work as
planned:

First of all, most of our calls come in through a call queue. There’s a
monitoring option in the queue, and it works just perfectly when the call is
handled by only one agent. What we especially like, is that the call does
not record the customer if he has been put on hold in the middle of the
conversation. This is good for maintaining customer privacy.

But then, if a call is being transferred to another extension, e.g. another
customer representative, the recording stops.

An alternative solution would be to use the monitor/mixmonitor application
in the dialplan, perhaps with a –b option. Now, the mixmonitor has the nice
–a flag as well, which continues writing to an existing file. This is
perfect if the call is being transferred to another customer representative,
so the final recording will not span over two files, but be joined together
in one. However, this solution has its downside as well, the fact that it
keeps recording while a customer is placed on hold, exposing potential
private information in the event of a playback.

So is there something I’m missing here, can what I’m looking for be easily
achieved?

I am also thinking of an alternative solution, something like this (where
111 is the extension of the queue)

Exten => 111,1,Set(__RECORD = 1)

Exten => 111,n,Set(FILENAME=${UNIQUEID})

Exten => 111,n,queue(queuename)

Then, of course, monitoring option should be enabled for that queue. The
recording would start when answered, and paused when the caller is put on
hold.

Then, if transferred, there should be a routine checking if the ${RECORD}
variable has the value of 1, and if yes, start a new recording session. If
using regular monitoring, the input and output file would need to be
downmixed, and lastly, the downmixed files from the first and the second
recording should be joined. However, the joined part is where I fail to
complete the task. Can this perhaps be done saving files in RAW format and
then using a CAT command? Would anyone then care to give an example of how
this could be done?

If using MixMonitor instead of monitor, there would be no need for
downmixing and it would be able to continue writing to the same file as it
already had created earlier. However, is there a possibility to use
Mixmonitor as the monitoring application in the queue? If so, how?

Thanks for all input on the matter!

Regards,

Bjorn