[Asterisk-Users] Unable to authenticate password - VM

Ben Gore ben at cleocat.com
Tue Mar 28 09:44:18 MST 2006

Hello:

I am relatively new to Asterisk, so this hopefully is an easy question for
someone:

I'm unable to get into voicemail to retrieve messages. Since I'm learning,
the conf files are very basic. The relevant portions of the voicemail.conf
is:

[general]
format=wav
serveremail=asterisk at myserver.com
append=yes
maxgreet=30
maxmessage=120

[default]
100 => 9999,100,me at myserver.com

When a message is left in the ext. 100 voicemail, the message light on the
phone comes on and I get an email with the voice message attached. I
created an extension (9000) for access to the voicemail main menu. When I
dial it from 100 I get a password prompt. I enter the password as listed
in the voicemail.conf file, and get and "invalid password" message. This
is the output at the console:

 -- Executing Wait("SIP/100-c174", "1") in new stack
    -- Executing VoiceMailMain("SIP/100-c174", "100 at default") in new stack
    -- Playing 'vm-password' (language 'en')
    -- Incorrect password '' for user '100' (context = default)
    -- Playing 'vm-incorrect' (language 'en')
    -- Playing 'vm-password' (language 'en')
Mar 28 11:31:46 WARNING[2795]: app_voicemail.c:4979 vm_authenticate:
Unable to read password
localhost*CLI>

As you can see I have tried adding @default context to the conf files
since I read somewhere that could be an issue, but it doesn't seem to make
any difference one way or the other.

Should there normally something in between the '' in  the incorrect
password line?

Any ideas appreciated!

-Ben