[Asterisk-Users] Set caller ID for outgoing PRI calls

Bill Gibbs bgibbs at edurotech.com
Tue Mar 28 06:39:28 MST 2006

Because, sometimes you have an office suite style configuration where
you want to push out an 800 # because they get cheaper rates going out
the PRI than their other circuit or because you are in the process of
porting a # and don't want to confuse people who pick up the phone (and
you still want your clients normal phone # to show up) or simply for
redundancy reasons - pushing out a call over the 2nd PRI if the first
one is full (which may be at a different carrier for redundancy).
Another big issue is call forwarding - call comes in the PRI from my
cell 301-748-xxxx and enters my Asterisk box where it gets forwarded out
to say my home phone.  Well, Asterisk sets the caller ID to 301-748-xxxx
but the telco drops it so it shows up at my home phone as the first
number of the DID block.  How do I know who is calling then?  I don't!
We just enabled "call redirection" feature that our upstream offers but
it's not activated yet - but according to them this will fix that
problem.  As simple as the concept is to most people, I found that
explaining the call forwarding issue usually gets the carrier to
understand what we want accomplished.  Then again, I don't know if that
will work yet. :)

Bill