[Asterisk-Users] DTMF recognition inconsistent in Asterisk

Monty monty-asterisk at bc.cx
Tue Mar 28 04:49:14 MST 2006

Hello,

I am experiencing a strange problem and I am wondering if anyone may have
some pointers as to how to overcome it.

I have an account with VoipTalk here in the UK which I have connected to
my Asterisk server.  VoipTalk supports IAX2 and SIP and I have connected
to my Asterisk box using both methods.  The problem is when I dial into my
Asterisk box via my VoipTalk incoming PSTN phone number from a landline or
mobile Asterisk does not consistently recognise DTMF's.

I have my VoipTalk context for incoming calls set to dial an extension in
my house then forward on no-answer to Asterisk voicemail.  The idea is to:

--go into the voicemail box
--go to administrative options
--place an outgoing call
--dial a local extension that activates the DISA function
--Once in DISA, enter a DISA password and then it's possible to dial any
other locally defined extension.

When I hear my voicemail greeting I press star to get to the prompt where
I can enter my voicemail password.  Asterisk seams to consistently
recognise both the star and my password.  So far, so good!

Then, I press "4" for administrative options and "3" for place an outgoing
call.  Again this works fine.

The problem however is when I attempt to dial the extension assigned to my
DISA function.  More often than not, Asterisk seams to miss my DTMF's.  In
the event I do get to my DISA password prompt, it more often than not
misses DTMF's there as well.

I have this same problem no matter if I use IAX or SIP to connect to
VoipTalk.  When connected via SIP I have the DTMF signalling set to
"inband" which seams to work as I am able to get into my voicemail box as
I said above.

Can anyone offer a suggestion as to why it seams like Asterisk is
inconsistent with recognising DTMF's?  Does it use different recognition
routines in different function s of the programme?  Is there a way to
heighten the recognition sensitivity?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance
   Monty