[Asterisk-Users] Config File Management

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Mon Mar 27 14:00:04 MST 2006

How does Fast AGI help?

-----Original Message-----
From: Giovanni Miano [mailto:giomiano at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 1:00 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Config File Management

You can use FastAGI

See http://www.asteriskjava.org

2006/3/27, David Gomillion < dgomillion at eyecarenow.com  <mailto:dgomillion at eyecarenow.com> >:

Sorry for thread breaking... I'm on digest.

>> I'm curious (ok, well I admit it - it's for perosnal gain) what
>> methods people are using to manage asterisk config files when they
>> have multiple asterisk systems?
>
>I'm using CVS. I only have one server right now. I use it on other
>clusters to sync files and it works for me..

Instead of doing this, I ended up creating a MySQL database and a few
scripts to generate the config files for each of my servers.  All I have to
do is update the database, and the correct server pulls the information from
the DB, generates the file, reloads, and sends reboot messages to the proper
phones.  Very specific to my needs, but extremely fast and effective.  And
all it requires on each Asterisk server is cron, PHP, and php-mysql.

I had to customize a few of the variables inside the PHP scripts for each
server, but by putting them close to the top, it's not a real big deal when
I update the scripts to customize them for my servers.  Mind you, I only
have 4 servers on this system, but we don't anticipate growing beyond one
more server for a while.

One thing to mention that I have found: use lots of macros.  Some of my
macros require 6 or 7 arguments, but they are extremely flexible and trivial
to generate on the fly through these tools.  Each extension fits in only one
line in the dialplan (calls a macro).  Entries in the DB turn on and off
features, sets the timeout, forwards to another extension or sends to
voicemail, etc.

Just what I'm doing.  Hope it helps.

David

Giovanni Miano