[Asterisk-Users] iax2_poke_noanswer on IP change. Sometimes permanent.

Ryan Chirches asterisk.users.dump at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 01:35:56 MST 2006

I have 4 asterisk servers which are "Friends" and each one has an account
for termination.  A total of 5 peers each.

Currently, the setup is as follows
========iax.conf=========
[FriendName]
type=friend
context=server_friend
secret=donttell
host=friend.dyndns.com
qualify=750
 =====================

In the past i would also use a register => and set host=dynamic, but the
registration would often timeout, sometimes never work between two
particular servers, and didnt help maintain my peers after ip change.  So
for simplicity i follow the pattern above on all the servers, and i dont
have to wonder why registration is timing out.

When one of their IPs changed yesterday, that box became unreachable to the
other 4.  That's annoying but expected, and I guess I'll need to write a
script to address that.

Problem is that the servers also lost all its peers when its ip changed (at
least it seemed to correspond with the change), including my provider.

Reloading iax2 wouldn't fix it; restarting the server brought the provider
and one friend back; stopping,  waiting, and starting brought one more
friend back; and one friend is still unreachable to it.

Its important to note that the other 3 servers are doing fine with each
other, and they can see the box who's ip changed after iax2 reload.

I can't help but wonder:  shouldn't the box who's ip changed still be able
to find its friend?

also, is there a better way of going about this than what I'm currently
doing?  i'm sure not everyone with a dynamic IP has this same problem.