[Asterisk-Users] SIP realtime: how to authenticate without "name" field ?

Frederic Jean fjean at sunnetgroup.net
Sun Mar 26 15:03:57 MST 2006

Hi,

Can someone explain to me how to set up the sip_buddies
table from 1.2.5 properly so my users can authenticate correctly
without using the "name" field ? (if it's possible)

First I was assuming that it would be possible for a user
to connect and dial just providing "username","secret","host" and "context"
but it seems that I need "name" to be set as well.

If I set the "name" field, the user can authenticate ; the "username" field
is even
updated in the database to reflect the "name" field, this automatically.

Now I think this is giving me a problem because I loose the "name"
information that is stored in the various ATAs, and I would like to
get it back in my CDRs, so I thought of removing the info from the "name"
field in the database since it is overriding the ATA info, and provide only
the "username"
field for authentication ; but, it doesn't work.

Is it an option in the ATA that I should change so it could authenticate
only with "username" field ? Or is it something in my config/sip_buddies
table ?

Thanks in advance for the attention,
Frederic