[Asterisk-Users] Plain Old Answering Machine

Brad Glonka glonka at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 08:25:44 MST 2006

Hi -

I have an fairly vanilla answering machine (actually its a combo
cordless phone/answering machine) attached to an FXS port (on a TDM400
Card).

Everything is working as planned except I seem to be having a bit of
trouble with the answering machine.  After is answers it plays the
outgoing message and then hangs up before letting the caller leave a
message. (it actually hangs up before the outgoing message is
completely played)

I think this is a problem with the answering machine (not asterisk),
but I'm limited to what I can change on the Answering Machine.

I've tried the obvious.  My dial statement does not contain a timeout...
exten => s,3,Dial,Zap/1

and I did check to make certain the machine is not in greeting only mode

There is not much too change on the answering machine other than no of rings.
I did try another another answering machine and I did not have this
problem (that's why I think its the machine not asterisk).

I think the machine is trying to detect if someone is on the remote
side of the call.  If not it hangs up.

Anything I can do with asterisk to help correct this situation?

Thanks