[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk & Avaya Legend

Sean Cook scook at kinex.net
Thu Mar 23 14:05:26 MST 2006

> Now, here is what I'm not sure of at this moment. For the time
> being, is it possible to just pass the PRI through the Asterisk to
> the Legend? Will there by any type of dialplans or anything that
> need to be created? Will it pass the DID information through? I
> was trying to look at this from the perspective that the Legend
> will be a channel bank, but I don't think that's a correct
> assumption. I think this more closely fits tying two Asterisk
> servers together with a T1, but I haven't been able to find any
> info on this.

basically you will receive the DID information and pass it straight
through to the DS1

[from-pstn]
exten => 482,1,Dial(Zap/g0/482)

It should be pretty straight forward... our setup is similar but the
asterisk system is configured internally not between the telco and legend.

> Can anyone offer any pointers, or maybe point out anything obvious
> that I am missing? Or, even confirm that what I'm trying to do is
> possible. I have the two port card on order and would like to play
> with it before the PRI gets installed. I don't like working in
> theory on this, I'd feel much better with the equipment in hand,
> even without the PRI, I can still setup a VoIP account and make
> sure that I can pass the call through the Asterisk into the Legend.

The only thing that I am not sure of is how the legend will be passing
additional extension across the PRI so that you can dial a local
extension that is on the Asterisk side...  I suppose if you set up
4000-4999 in UDP and pass it on the PRI you should be pretty good to
go, provided that you have did's for every extension set up within the
legend.  (even if they are fake did's not necessarily from the telco)

> Assuming all this works, I think just having Asterisk in there
> would solve one problem. It seems that I could set up a dial plan
> so that if I dial 9 it would use the caller ID of one company, dial
> 8 to use the caller ID of another, etc. On the user side, they
> would have to dial 9 twice to place an outgoing call (since the
> Legend requires a 9 for an outside line), but I think I could also
> set the dialplan up so that if the number dialed is a standard
> number, it would just use a generic caller ID number.

Right but the legend also provides UDP that will allow you to specify
a range for extensions to be passed back and forth... users that dial
9 and get an outside trunk will be able to match with your dialplan

[from-merlin]
exten => 9NXXXXXX,1,Dial(ZAP/g1/${EXTEN:-1})  ; where group=1 is your
telco trunk
exten => 4001,1,Dial(SIP/4001)

> I guess I'm still confused as whether Asterisk will pass the DID
> information onto the Legend. If someone could point me in a
> direction regarding this, I'd appreciate it. I haven't found
> anything, which makes me worried this isn't possible (whether
> because of technology or Asterisk).

All you need to know is the digits that are being passed and how they
are mapped in the legend... asterisk can mimic this however you want...