[Asterisk-Users] If a packet is dropped, is it possible to replay the previous packet in Asterisk?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Mar 23 06:26:42 MST 2006

On Thursday 23 March 2006 03:40, Gabriel Afana wrote:
> At the VON expo, my SIP workshop mentioned this as a technique to help
> cover up dropped packets.  Has anybody heard anything about Asterisk being
> able to do this?

That is one way to help cover up packet loss.  Packet Loss Concealment (PLC)
is a very hot area at the moment.  In the development branch of Asterisk
there is a PLC jitterbuffer for IAX2, and OEJ and others are working on one
for SIP, using the same algorithm as the one for IAX2.

So yes, Asterisk does have these features, but I'm not sure if they're in the
mainline version at this time.  If you are interested in helping out, even if
it's just to test, we could really use your help.  Contact oej on IRC or
search the archives here for the "test-this-branch" messages from Olle
himself.

Regards,
Andrew