[Asterisk-Users] Netgear FS116P and Cisco 79XX phones

Joseph Rothstein jrothstein at comcentrixs.com
Thu Mar 23 02:29:25 MST 2006

I am hoping that someone has had better luck with this than I have.

I would like to connect Cisco 7940s and 7960s to the Netgear FS116P, and
take advantage of its POE. I know that the Cisco phones use Cisco's
"pre-standard" POE implementation, but as I understand it the difference is
really only two pins.

I bought a bunch of PowerDsine inline power adapters which supposedly change
the right pins so that standard POE will work with Cisco POE, but it does
not (other POE devces work fine on the Netgear such as SNOMs), at least not
on the Netgear. I have tried several different settings on the phone as
well, changing the media type, but the FS116P just does not recognise that
there is a POE devices attached to it.

If anyone has any experience gettings these phones to work on this switch I
would appreciate any help.

Regards,
Joe