[Asterisk-Users] router UDP timeout

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Thu Mar 23 02:23:49 MST 2006

On 22 Mar 2006, at 16:24, Steven Langley wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I am using an IAX2 softphone built from the IaxClient library
> dialing into
> Meetme conferences. The IaxClient seems to use silence suppression,
> and not
> sure if this can be disabled. The client works fine through most
> routers,
> but for some it disconnects the client after about 5 minutes and
> gives this
> error in the asterisk logs:
>
> Chan_iax2.c:1480 attempt_transmit: Max retries exceeded to host
> 146.18.3.5
> on IAX2/bob at 146.18.3.5:4569/3 (type = 2, subclass = 1024, ts=655380,
> seqno=177).
>
> My guess is that the timeout for UDP on the router is set to quite
> a low
> value and it times out if there is no data sent from the client to the
> server for this amount of time. Would a solution be to send a
> packet of
> silence every minute or so?

I would be _very_ surprised if anyone had written an IAX client with
silence
suppression, IAX doesn't support it.
At a guess I'd say either:
	a) your softclient has a bug in the audio code (it isn't sending data
every 20ms)
	b) you don't have a suitable timing source on your asterisk for
meetme to use.

> Many thanks
>
> Steven Langley

Tim Panton