[Asterisk-Users] Stability and motherboard questions with TE406P and TE410P

El Flynn el_flynn at lanvik-icu.com
Wed Mar 22 19:48:58 MST 2006

Kyle Sexton wrote:

> TE410P:
> - zttest will never report 100% for me across different motherboards
> (Supermicro P8SCT, Dell 850)
> - Crash/instability of about once per two weeks where I have to power cycle
> the server, i.e. phone calls stop working and a reboot fixes it
>

> TE406P:
> - zttest runs flawlessly on this card, 100% across the board
> - PRIs will go from up and working fine, to "Provisioned, Down, Active"
> after the server has been up for around 10 minutes, this may be related to
> rxfax and txfax being installed?  Has anyone had an issue with this specific
> card?  We have had this experience across multiple motherboards.
>
> After working with two different cards and across multiple motherboards I am
> starting to lose faith on the stability of the Asterisk platform, but I know
> others are having lots of success.  My boss is looking for something that
> says "With the TE406P, we have had zero issues on X motherboard", does
> anyone have any recommendations?  Has anyone else had stability issues with
> the digium 4 port cards?

Kyle,

While my reply probably doesn't help you any, I just want to say that I've been
experiencing the same sort of problem. I've got a TE410P on a server with an
Intel SE7210TP1-E Entry level server motherboard; we're connecting the card to
four Rhino T1 channel banks.

I'm also experiencing the random crash issue, albeit perhaps not as frequent.
Some symptoms:

- server "hangs" and is generally bogged down. Even when I'm at the console in
front of the server typing one key on the keyboard takes 4-5 seconds to get a
response
- random noise, echo and badness starts to appear on the phones connected to the
channel banks. This is because something's eating up the CPU processing power
and the server isn't able to service the 1k interrupts the zap card requires

One of the things I've had to do, as a jerry-rig type of fix is to have Asterisk
restart every day at 3am. This has lengthened the duration in-between server
crashes, but isn't really a good solution.

What we're going to do is to scrap the TE410 and use Sangoma's A104 card. In the
same installation, we've got a server (same _identical_ specs as the one above)
with one A104 -- two incoming PRIs and two outgoing to an Avaya PABX. This one
has not crashed since it went into production last august.

This is probably just a rant, but I thought you'd like to know that you're not
the only one struggling with the TE410 cards.

Hope you'll be able to get your setup fixed soon, good luck.

Cheers,
Flynn