[Asterisk-Users] router UDP timeout

Steven Langley steven at intellinc.co.za
Wed Mar 22 09:24:31 MST 2006

Hi there

I am using an IAX2 softphone built from the IaxClient library dialing into
Meetme conferences. The IaxClient seems to use silence suppression, and not
sure if this can be disabled. The client works fine through most routers,
but for some it disconnects the client after about 5 minutes and gives this
error in the asterisk logs:

Chan_iax2.c:1480 attempt_transmit: Max retries exceeded to host 146.18.3.5
on IAX2/bob at 146.18.3.5:4569/3 (type = 2, subclass = 1024, ts=655380,
seqno=177).

My guess is that the timeout for UDP on the router is set to quite a low
value and it times out if there is no data sent from the client to the
server for this amount of time. Would a solution be to send a packet of
silence every minute or so?

Many thanks

Steven Langley