[Asterisk-Users] SIP video voicemail problem

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Tue Mar 21 21:35:29 MST 2006

Hello all,

I am trying to leave a video voicemail but am unable to do so.  I am using
Ekiga (formerly Gnomemeeting) to make a SIP connection to Asterisk 1.2.4.
Ekiga supports h261 for video.

The call connects and negotiation seems okay.  When I leave a message,
however, only the audio is recorded.  Looking in the log file afterwards I see
many messages like this:

Mar 21 22:02:34 WARNING[2418] translate.c: No translator path from unknown to unknown
Mar 21 22:02:34 WARNING[2418] file.c: Unable to translate to format h263, source format unknown

For some reason, Asterisk seems to want to use h263, but that's not what is
configured.  Asterisk is also aware that the phone is using h261 because if I
disallow that in sip.conf then video is stopped completely.

After the voicemail message has been left, the normal audio files will exist
in the inbox.  There is also this file:
  INBOX/msg0000.h263

which has a length of 0 bytes.

My sip.conf file contains:

videosupport=yes
disallow=all
allow=gsm
allow=h261

I was hoping that these settings would force the issue since Asterisk and the
phone would have only one choice.  It doesn't seem to have made any
difference.

I found that tracker issue 0004825 seems to discuss some of these problems
regarding video, but I'm not sure this problem is the same.  That tracker
issue is about codec negotiation.  In my setup I have essentially enforced, I
think, the exact codecs I want to use in sip.conf.

Can anybody offer any suggestions as to what the problem may be?  Or maybe how
to fix it?

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.