[Asterisk-Users] FAX over PRI

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Mar 21 13:41:34 MST 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 15:33, Michael Gaudette wrote:
> Hmmm, Im not so sure I can apply this to me though.  I just want to do
> Fax-To-Email using PRI channels as the incoming lines.  Not so much
> transfer to a real fax.

Ok.

> I am assuming that this is easily done with Asterisk? (I did it before with
> Asterisk SIP, but it only worked once every 10 tries or so)

Yes it is possible; I've done this too.  spandsp and rxfax with some shell
scripting and tiff2ps and ps2pdf seem to work fairly well.  Spandsp is *very*
sensitive to the version of libtiff on your system.

Googling for "Asterisk fax to email gives me these two links:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Fax+to+email
http://scottstuff.net/blog/articles/2004/03/28/faxing-with-asterisk

The system I used is based on the latter link.

-A.