[Asterisk-Users] Problem with chan_iax.cimplimentationcausesbadaudio?

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Tue Mar 21 12:46:11 MST 2006

On 21 Mar 2006, at 18:35, Adam Robins wrote:

> Thanks for the offer.  We deleted all of our Ethereal traces once we
> switched to SIP.  On a bad call call there were tens of thousands of
> checksum errors and packets out of sequence.  This occurred both with
> and without IAX2 trunking and trunktimestamps.

Checksum errors- That is interesting - IAX doesn't have checksums, udp
can though. Sounds like some aspect of IAX was interacting (in a bad
way)
with your VPN.

The out of sequence stuff could definitely be the IAX update.
I had to add code to cope with blocks of 3 packets arriving in
the wrong order (over a WAN) when I moved to 1.2

> Complaints of poor quality were from both the agent and customer
> sides.
> Mostly cutting in and out - typical of dropped packets.

Yeah, that is consistent with the checksum errors.

I'd be very interested if anyone else has packet traces that show
this sort of problem, we are looking to deploy on IAX, and
a bit of warning would be great.

T.

Tim Panton
tim at mexuar.com