[Asterisk-Users] How to make groups of extensions ???

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Tue Mar 21 12:10:10 MST 2006

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> These are *all* incoming calls as far as Asterisk is concerned.  You get
> dumped into a specific part of the dialplan (the context specified) and you
> tell Asterisk what they can dial.  Internal extensions, external peers, Zap
> channels or even applications... the second half of all of this is the
> outgoing part, when Asterisk Dial()s.

Do I not remember reading on this or the -dev list--I think more than
once--that the recent reworkings (and future direction) of the SIP
channel driver is to eliminate the notions of user/peer/friend for SIP,
and have *all* endpoints be done as peers?

Maybe I misunderstood a couple of previous threads, but I thought that
for some time now (even though perhaps the previous configuration
options regarding SIP users are still supported) that we have been asked
not to maintain that distinction.

I would welcome clarifying commentary from someone who is clued in on
that matter.  Not to say you're not, Andrew, because I might be misinformed.

Thx.

B.