[Asterisk-Users] How to make groups of extensions ???

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Mar 21 11:15:39 MST 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 12:14, C F wrote:
> Of course contexts are for outgoing as well, how else is he going to
> make sure that device a only dials out using channel/group x?

No, the dialplan determines what you do.  I.e. you get to an appropriate
Dial() command which specifies the appropriate group.

There's absolutely nothing stopping someone from writing this:

[context-1]
exten => 123,Dial(Zap/g1/${EXTEN})
exten => _X.,1,Goto(context-2,${EXTEN},1)

[context-2]
exten => _X.,1,Dial(Zap/g2/${EXTEN})

Your contexts didn't determine a thing; the Zap group determined it for your
outgoing call.

(I *do* see what you're saying, but honestly the context has absolutely
nothing to do with it short of dumping the extension into the correct part of
the dialplan.  It's the group configuration that does the "only dial out
through line 4,5,6".)

-A.