[Asterisk-Users] WiFi phones and WDS (Wireless Distribution System)

Cory Andrews cory at voipsupply.com
Tue Mar 21 10:14:49 MST 2006

There are a number of phones that support WPA, including the UTStarcom
F1000G and F3000, and the Linksys WIP300 and WIP330, although current
availability on these products is scarce.

I know a couple of integrators that are having good success on WIFI
deployments using the D-Link DWS-1008 (8 port Wireless Switch with PoE) and
the corresponding DWL-8220AP Access points.  In this scenario,
administration of the AP's is handled through a central point on the switch.

Here are a few specs on the switch.

The D-Link MobileLAN solution is powered by Trapeze Networks and executes
Trapeze Networks' Mobility System Software (MSS), which maintains the
intelligence of the MobileLAN system. In addition to managing users'
identities as they roam, the DWS-1008 configures and controls all aspects of
the complementing DWL-8220AP Wireless Switch Dualband Access Points.

Product Features:

  a.. Powered by Trapeze NetworksT Mobility System
  b.. Provides Central Management for WLAN Infrastructure
  c.. Automatically Configures All Attached DWL-8220APs
AAA Authentication Offloading Capability
The MobileLAN DWS-1008 supports Administration, Authorization, and
Authentication (AAA) policies to ensure maximum security. Rather than
checking the identity of a connecting user from the switch's local database,
user authentication policies can be sent back to an AAA server for complete
verification. This offloading capability ensures that the WLAN will not
overload when clients are simultaneously connecting to the network.

User-Based Authentication Services
This wireless switch delivers Identity-based Networking, which provides
user-based services such as virtual private group membership, personal
firewall filters, time-of-day/day-of-week access, encryption type,
authentication, usage tracking, location tracking, and associated network
statistics. Authorizations stay with users wherever they roam because all
deployed DWS-1008s share stored information, ensuring secure access and
connectivity to the right services.

Easy Deployment
The DWS-1008 includes eight 10/100 Mbps ports with integrated PoE to enable
network connectivity to any connected DWL-8220AP. It is designed for
distributed deployments in the wiring closet or small or medium offices. It
can support up to six directly connected DWL-8220APs and up to six more
DWL-8220APs connected indirectly. Maximum Performance With Load Balancing
Capabilities The DWS-1008 performs Layer 2 forwarding and also comes with
extensive Layer 3-4 and identity-tracking capabilities. It integrates
seamlessly with wired infrastructures and offers redundant load-sharing
links, 802.1q trunking, spanning tree and per-VLAN spanning tree (PVST+). It
also supports IGMP snooping, which is vital to supporting IP multicast
streams.

Cory Andrews
VOIPSupply.com
A Division of b2 Technologies