[Asterisk-Users] How often do YOU register?

Arek Bekiersz sip at perceval.net
Mon Mar 20 09:11:08 MST 2006

Hi,

Being SER user I use 5 minutes (300 seconds).

But you have to balance between load on your registrar server (like * in
this case) and keeping your database up to date. Too short
re-registration in huge system means literally tens of registration per
second. To long registration means:

a) users will seem available for a prolonged time, even during power
off, their network failure, etc.

b) if user will change IP address and you have long expiratoin time, he
will be visible under two or more addresses. Most SIP proxies will
perform parallel forking - they will contact all IPs. Of coure provided
that you do not perform any form of registrar database 'purge' or
cleaning, when registering UA from new IP address

--
Regards,
Arek Bekiersz