[Asterisk-Users] Calls to SIP providers

Bart J. Smit bart at smits.co.uk
Sun Mar 19 14:32:47 MST 2006

Hi All,

Which configuration settings will allow my Asterisk registered
softphones to make calls to third party SIP provider subscribers (fwd,
voiptalk, etc.) by directly entering the sip uri (e.g.
sip:user at provider.com)?

I have googled for configurations, but they all assume that Asterisk is
registered with a provider and the provider routes the calls with dial
prefixes. I want to bypass any provider and go straight to the external
phone sip address.

In my current configuration I get an immediate 'Number does not exist
Call rejected: 404 Not Found' when I try to call an external sip phone.
Judging by the speed of the error, I assume that asterisk looks for
internal users only.

Do I need to add a line in extension.conf that tells asterisk where to
route SIP calls? I have seen lines like these:

exten => _sip.1,

If so, what action should I put on such a line?

Bart...