[Asterisk-Users] Annoying Asterisk Realtime Limitation

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Sun Mar 19 14:15:07 MST 2006

On 19 Mar 2006, at 17:56, Douglas Garstang wrote:

> Well, this is a major pain in the ass.
>
> I got realtime static working for sip.conf. 'Great!' I thought.
> That was until I realised I couldn't use it.
>
> Our Asterisk systems are using OSPF and listen on interface lo:1.
> Asterisk doesn't like to use an interface name for it's bindaddr
> setting, so you have to put the IP address of lo:1 in there. If you
> put in 0.0.0.0, it seems to listen on the first interface it finds,
> probably eth0. You can't do that with OSPF because it's load
> balancing and traffic can come over eth1 instead.
>
> If you point all your Asterisk systems to a single table for
> sip.conf, what do you put in the binaddr setting? You can't use the
> systems IP address at lo:1, because they're all different, and you
> can't use 0.0.0.0 or lo:1. The only solution is to have one
> sip.conf table for every Asterisk system... 5 in our case.

At the risk of stirring up a flame war.....

If you have a 'real' database you could work around that problem with
a view. The view could be
written to pass back a different value of bindaddr depending on which
client asks, but all the other
values come straight out of base table that is the same for all clients.

A bind addr of 0.0.0.0 should listen on all interfaces that are up at
the time the listen is
started, I guess your problem is with the source address in the
outgoing (from asterisk)
reply packets.

> Anyway, so I went back to a plain text file for sip.conf. What a
> dissapointment.

I do think there might have been a work around available there.

> Doug.

Tim Panton
tim at mexuar.com